This, Not That: Healing and Life, Not Pain and Death
Patterns of Holy Spirit empowered speech flowing from a healed heart:
- Love – Father, fill my mouth with words that reflect love not pain.
- Edify – Father, fill my mouth and manner with words that emotionally build people up and not emotionally tear down.
- Encourage – Father, fill my mouth and manner with words that build courage in someone and not to take courage away from them (discourage).
- Instruct – Father, fill my mouth and manner with words to bring about a positive change and not just voice a complaint.
- Wisdom – Father, fill my mouth and manner with words that bring clarity to a situation and not add to the chaos/confusion.
- Peace – Father, fill my mouth and manner with words that bring peace and not add fuel to the fire.
- Kindness – Father, fill my mouth and manner with words that reflect a kind spirit towards the person and not an angry hurt spirit.
Reflections and Responses
Reflection: What heat diagnosis can you make from the words you have used this week? Did your words reflect broken, hurt, wounded, angry, selfish or did they reflect a heart on the mend or whole?
Response: Thank the Lord for the diagnosis and ask the Lord for healing and a path to stay whole.
Reflection: What will I do differently as a result of what I have heard today?
Response: Be more mindful of the Holy Spirit’s voice as it relates to the content and manner of my conversations. To yield to His power over the voice of my flesh.
“My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.”
“The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.”
“The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.”